Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Brasil Here We Come!


Hello All!

Well we just got news today and our visa's were accepted! We leave for Brasil on Tuesday Dec.2! Your probably wondering how I felt when I received the great new. I had a lot of mixed feelings. I was so happy just to for sure know that we were going. It kinda hit me that it is actually real now. Like were actually going now. Before this, Brasil seemed so far away, kinda like it was never going to happen.
There are certain times when the thought of Brasil scares me, but that's life and you have to face that fear. I don't and won't live my life in fear. I'm going to stand up to it with Jesus. He has gotten me through hard times, and I know he will during these next 6 months too.

Were still in Vancouver, and will be for another week and a half. This week has gone by so quickly. Were working with the youth, and have gone through a lot alongside them. I never knew that there were children living in the conditions that they like 10 min away from my home. People do not need to travel half way around the world to serve. It can be done in your own town. Children are so beautiful here and I don't think they know it or hear it. I have been challenged in so many areas here. Questions I never thought that I would answer. God has given me strength to talk to these kids, and love them.

I really took me awhile to warm up to these kids and it took them even longer for them to warm up to me. I was know as the "Mean" Trekker. The kids hated me for a bit. I show a "Stern Love" these kids don't get a lot of discipline, so I took that job on. As the kids got to know me, they realized that I really do love them, and just want the best for them.

At there youth group on Friday night, I was asked to share my testimony (People found out about me being in Top Teen of Canada and my speech, decided that it would be best for me to speak first....!) It went well, but I was a bit discouraged at first. The kids listened, but did not really respond. It's hard to talk to a bunch of kids that don't really want to be there.

God has really been really teaching me lately that no person is impossible. So many times I look at peoples live (I know judgemental eh) and be like "oh this person could never change and accept Christ" But God has so much grace, and no person is impossible for God. I was reading through Acts, and I read the story about Saul.... WOW. God is so good. He turned a man who was killing Christian, into a man so filled with Jesus he could not hold it in. This just shows you never to give up on people... or God.

Please pray that as I lead up to Dec 2, the day we leave, that God will continue to give me a a passion and a fire for Brasil. And that change will be easy!! Also that our team will continue to come together, and have patience with one another. I really do love them!

Thank you again for all you prayers and love... I feel them!

Much love
Corryn

4 comments:

Carol said...

HI Corryn,
Wow, praise the Lord that your visas finally came through and the anxious waiting time has come to an end. Everyone of us faces challenges and changes in our lives and through them we grow and learn so much. God will bless you and the team-you have been through so much together and can rely on each other.

I can't believe you were known as the "mean" trekker, Corryn. When I hear students say that I am strict and tough I now take that as a compliment as I realize that many children need and want boundaries and in the end they do appreciate me (at least I think so). You have a gift of speaking (no, I did not say gift of the gab) and I'm so thrilled you were able to share your powerful testimony which you will be doing more and more, I hope.

As much as we will all miss you a ton, we are so happy that you are making this journey and putting your trust in faith in God. He will guide you through the next 6 months and teach you so much. We'll continue to pray for you and the adaptations you'll need to make to your new environment and for your fellow Trekkers. God loves you so much. He must have the biggest smile as He looks down to see what a wonderful group of young people He has called to serve Him. You will all make Him proud. Keep looking up when things look bleak.

You are loved beyond measure, Corryn. All the best as you plan for your departure on Dec. 2nd.

All my love,

Auntie Carol

LeahA said...

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa GINTER....

thanks for the reminder that NO ONE IS IMPOSSIBLE...shhhesh i needed it.

Valeria. said...

woooohoooooo brazil!!!!
I'll see you there! I'm so happy for you Corryn, its going to be amazing!

Wendy Senft said...

Hi Corryn,

Took me a while to respond to your blog. Life has been craaaaazy but here I finally am. At least Auntie Carol was able to post before me this time!

Anyway, we are so blessed to have you as a niece and to be able to share in this awesome time of your life with you. You will do great, no matter how many hard days ahead there may be.

I pray that you will feel the closeness of home and of your team as you do your thing in Brasil. Are you brushing up on your Portugese?

Big hugs to you and we'll see you Sunday.

Love A. Wendy